Urgent Actions between 1986 to 1990
In August 2011 the section of Amnesty International in Turkey started a project of documenting for whom in Turkey the organization had become active. However, they could not find any material prior to 1996. The material in my possession is restricted to report and urgent actions during my time in office (November 1986 to August 1990). I have found a few more documents from 1993 and 1994. All urgent actions and additional reports are external papers so that anyone can download them.
Order and size of files
The packages of the documents scanned and saved as pdf-files always start with the newest and end with oldest for that time span (e.g. if you have a package for May and June the first one could be 30 June and the last one could be 1 May). In some cases the documents are upside down, because they could not be put into the feeder otherwise. The files (usually covering some months) are sized 2 to 5MB (details below).
1986 1987 1988 1989 1990 1993 Aug-Dec Jan-Apr Jan-Apr Jan-Feb January Jan-Feb May-Aug May-Oct March-April February March-April Sep-Dec Nov-Dec May-June Mar-Apr July July-Aug May-June 1994 Sept-Oct July May-June August
Alternatives for download
Should any of the links provided above not work you can do the following: copy http://ob.nubati.net/en/uas/ into the address field (url) of your browser followed by the corresponding file name that are
Size Name 1481336 actions1986.pdf 2743652 actions1987jan-apr.pdf 2706888 actions1987may-aug.pdf 2997053 actions1987sep-dec.pdf 2764760 actions1988jan-apr.pdf 3546167 actions1988may-oct.pdf 2482091 actions1988nov-dec.pdf 2588623 actions1989jan-feb.pdf 3032837 actions1989jul-aug.pdf 3065320 actions1989mar-apr.pdf 4000667 actions1989may-jun.pdf 1920391 actions1989nov-dec.pdf 4590475 actions1989sep-oct.pdf 2338071 actions1990august.pdf 3826048 actions1990feb.pdf 3424348 actions1990jan.pdf 3566197 actions1990july.pdf 5684223 actions1990march-april.pdf 3129050 actions1990may-june.pdf 3553114 actions1993jan-feb.pdf 3561663 actions1993july.pdf 4559525 actions1993march-april.pdf 3787262 actions1994.pdf
You can also download the complete selection as a zip-file (70MB).
Besides the classic long-term adoption cases of prisoners of conscience (POC) and short-term urgent actions to prevent abuses such as torture Amnesty International established regional action networks (RAN) to work for certain periods on violations such as "disappearances" and extra-judicial executions (EJE) directed against individuals or groups. The one on Turkey was called TURKRAN. Some reports were written for such actions, others as general background on the situation in the country (besides the annual reports). The index numbers of all reports start with EUR 44 (for Turkey). Some of the reports between 1986 and 1991 (again as pdf files) include:
Date Name Index Download 20 Feb. 1992 Rape and Torture in Adana 22/92 Download 20 Feb. 1992 Torture after return to Ankara 21/92 Download Feb. 1992 Four more EJE in the Southeast 17/92 Download Feb. 1992 Three more EJE in the Southeast 14/92 Download 31 Jan. 1992 Alleged EJE in the Southeast 12/92 Download 20 Feb. 1992 Torture after return to Ankara 21/92 Download 9 August 1991 Attacks on HR activists and politicians 114/91 Download 25 Feb. 1991 Still Waiting for Change 26/91 Download 24 July 1990 Unfair Trial of Eşber Yağmurdereli 119/90 Download 2 June 1990 Four prisoners on death row after an unfair trial 103/90 Download 26 June 1990 Continuing violations... 105/90 Download 22 May 1990 The case of Yıldırım Koç 95/90 Download 9 May 1990 Continuing violations... 66/90 Download 23 March 1990 Torture and unfair trial in Mersin, Ankara and Istanbul 58/90 Download 8 Nov. 1989 Nine inhabitants of Balveren village 135/89 Download 31 Oct. 1989 Torture and unfair trial 101/89 Download 19 Oct. 1988 Prolonged imprisonment for POCs 79/88 Download 3 May 1988 Torture and medical neglect 28/89 Download 20 April 1988 The Death Penalty 25/88 Download 15 June 1987 Continuing Violations... 33/87 Download
- Extra-judicial Executions (March 1990)
- Prosecution of Religious Activists (November 1987)
- Illustrated Reports of Amnesty International include
- File on Torture (September 1987) and
- Turkey Briefing Paper (November 1988)
- Deaths Custody (January 1989)
- Campaign for the abolition of the death penalty (February 1990)
- Torture and death in custody (April 1989)
- Unfair trial of members of Devrimci Yol (Revolutionary Path)
- Unfair trial of members of Devrimci Sol (Revolutionary Left)
- October 1996 Fair trial of civilians at military courts
- 26 May 1982 Statements alleging torture in Turkey
- This 36-page document was printed on front and back. Therefore, the scan was done by first scanning the uneven pages (upside down) in the order of 1-3-5 etc. and then the even pages (upside down) in the order of 36-34-32 etc.
- This 31-page document was printed on front and back. Therefore, the scan was done by first scanning the uneven pages (upside down) in the order of 1-3-5 etc. and then the even pages (upside down) in the order of 30-28-26 etc.
- This 18-page document (and 6-page appendices) was printed on front and back. Therefore, the scan was done by first scanning the uneven pages (upside down) in the order of 1-3-5 etc. and then the even pages (upside down) in the order of 18-16-14 etc.